Who Are We?
We are Chandrakantha and David Courtney, a husband-and-wife team who are involved in Indian Music. We are based in Houston, TX We teach, perform, and have a number of recordings, books and other material for anyone interested in Indian Music
What Is On This Site?
Search & Navigation
- Search - Domain wide search engine.
- Index - Book style index for the domain
- Our Classes - This is a link to information about our classes. We teach North Indian classical vocal, tabla, dilruba and esraj in the Houston TX area.
- F.A.Q.s - These are "Frequently Asked Questions" about Indian classical music, and about the learning of this music.
- Teachers and Performers - If you do not live in the Houston area, or if you are interested in some subject other than what we teach, this is a world-wide list of performers and teachers of various aspects of Indian music and dance.
- Suppliers of Indian Instruments - Obviously if you want to learn an Indian instrument, you must have one for practice. This is a world-wide list of places where you can get them.
- Electronic Aids In Indian Music Education - This is a paper that I delivered a long time ago.
- New Approaches To Tabla Instruction - This is another paper that I delivered a long time ago.
- Recording Studio - Inexpensive yet professional audio recording services in the Southwest Houston area.
- Tabla Repair - Head replacement and other repairs.
- Products and Services - Find our various products and services here, such as CDs books, and other services.
- Advertising - Advertise in CHANDRAKANTHA.COM.
- Fundamentals of Rag - Introduction to the North Indian concept of the rag.
- Index of Rags - A few common North Indian rags.
- Laharas - A collection of laharas for tabla / pakhawaj solos as well as Kathak dance performances.
- Fundamentals of Tal - An introduction to the North Indian approach to rhythm.
- Avartan - The cycle.
- Bol - mnemonic syllables
- Popular Songs - A breakdown of many Bollywood songs organised by their tals.
- Index of Tals - The common rhythmic patterns in North Indian music.
- Khali - Waving of the hands.
- Lay - Tempo.
- Matra - The Beat
- Sam - First beat of the cycle.
- Tali - The claps.
- Theka - The "Groove".
- Vibhagh - The measure (bar).
- Genre - A breakdown of the styles of North Indian music.
- Film Songs in Rags - An index of classical based film songs indexed by rag.
- Notation - A discussion of the North Indian approach to musical notation
- Bollywood / Filmi - The most popular form of music in India today.
- Ghazal - A form of song which has evolved from poetic recitation.
- Bhangra - This was originally a folk song/ dance that has shed its folk associations and is now considered to be a urban commercial genre.
- Kirtan/ Dhun - Kirtan and dhun are forms of Hindu religious songs.
- Qawwali - This is a form of Islamic devotional song.
- Bhajan - This is a Hindu devotional song.
- Geet - A general term for a non-classical song.
- Bharat Natyam - Most popular form of classical dance in India today
- Kathak - Traditional North Indian classical dance.
- Kuchipudi - Classical dance of Andhra Pradesh.
- Kathakali - Traditional folk theatre of Kerala.
- Manipuri - Traditional dance of the North East Indian state of Manipur.
- Odissi - Classical dance from Odissa.
- Indian Instruments - The place to go for information on the musical instruments of India.
- Tuning Indian Instruments - Overview on how to tune a variety of Indian instruments.
- Western / Indian Note Equivalents - A very useful table to assist you in tuning instruments, especially if you are using a keyboard or electronic tuner as a reference.
- Sitar - A series of pages on various aspects of the sitar.
- Tabla - Introductory article on the Indian drum known as the tabla
- Tablasite - Articles, and resources on the Indian tabla
- Sarangi - Articles, and resources on the Indian sarangi.
- Dilruba - Articles, and resources on the Indian dilruba.
- Esraj - Articles, and resources on the Indian esraj.
- ICM Newbies - Forums specifically for newcomers to ICM.
- General Discussions - General topics relating to ICM.
- Carnatic Sangeet - Discussions relating to South Indian music.
- Sitar & Surbahar - Technique, teachers, theory, history etc, of the sitar & Surbahar.
- Tabla - Technique, teachers, theory, history etc., of the tabla.
- Sarod - Everything about the sarod.
- Vitat (Sarangi, Dilruba, Violin, etc.) - Everything about Indian bowed Instruments.
- Traditional Indian Dance - Everything about Indian dance.
- Dhrupad & Rudra Vina - Everything about vocal and instrumental dhrupad.
- Classical Film Songs - Discussions related to classical songs from the films.
- These Forums - Suggestions, coding and login issues, features, etc.
- Forum Archives - Forums past
- Chandra's Bio - Information about Chandrakantha Courtney.
- David's Bio - Information about David Courtney.
- Contacting Us - Here are our e-mail, snail-mail and telephone numbers.
- Other Sites - Other sites of Chandra and/or David Courtney.
- Videos - Videos either by us or about us.
- Works Cited - Partial list of references for this site.
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org