Major South Asian Events of 1984
- Operation Blue Star - Hundreds slain as Indian Army occupies Sikh Golden Temple in Amritsar.
- Indira Gandhi assassinated by two Sikh bodyguards; 1,000 killed in anti-Sikh riots; son Rajiv succeeds her to become Prime Minister.
- Toxic gas leaks from Union Carbide plant in Bhopal, killing 6,500 and injuring 20,000. This is considered to be the world's worst industrial accident.
- General Rahimuddin Khan becomes the first man in Pakistan's history to rule over 2 of its provinces, after becoming interim Governor of Sindh.
- Squadron Leader Rakesh Sharma becomes the first Indian to be launched into space. He flies aboard the Soyuz T-11.
- India launches Operation Meghdoot, as most of the Siachen Glacier in Kashmir comes under Indian control.
- The Tamil Tigers begin the purge of the Sinhalese from North and East Sri Lanka; 127 are killed.
- Doordarshan (Delhi) begins broadcast on its second channel
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org