Major South Asian Events of 1985
- Air India Flight 182 was blown up by Sikh nationalists. It was on its second leg on its Toronto-Montreal-London-Delhi-Bombay (Mumbai) flight when it exploded off the coast of Ireland. Everyone on board dies.
- The Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act is passed by Parliament.
- The Special Protection Group is created.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University was established by an Act of Indian Parliament.
- Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) was passed by parliament.
- Texas Instruments, a Multinational corporation, starts its India operations in Bangalore and helps create infrastructure to export software via satellite communications from India for the first time.
Texas Instruments - Bangalore
- Pakistani bowler Wasim Akram takes 10 wickets in his second Test cricket match, but New Zealand still wins.
- The Hindustani vocalist Bhimsen Joshi is awarded Padma Bhushan
This page last updated
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 David and Chandrakantha Courtney
For comments, corrections, and suggestions, kindly contact David Courtney at email@example.com